Pardon me if I am actually starting with the kitchen first among the numerous rooms that’s actually found in the home, but as a Chef this is my most favorite spot in my home, I mean it’s the best for me coz that’s where I spend most time of my day transforming herbs and spices into delicious delicacy. The kitchen is the heart of the home and likewise the busiest place in the home, the most important thing to note is that a bit of re-organizing that kitchen of yours will definitely make it easier to use and even safer for all.
- Always wear Shoes and safe clothing.
- Keep all cupboard doors closed so you don’t walk into them
- Put safety tags or catches on cupboards holding knives
- Use a step ladder rather than a chair to reach high cabinet or shelves
- Keep heavy objects and things you use often in low cupboard so you can reach them easily as often as it must be used.
- Clean up any spills as soon as you notice as they can catch on fire , create unnecessary smoke or even cause you to slip and fall
- Never leave children alone in the kitchen, They must be supervised always.
- Unplug all cooking appliances when not in use and before leaving the kitchen.
- Keep electrical appliances away from water to avoid shocks, stay away from electrical sockets especially if hands are wet.
- Always turn pot handles inward towards the back of the stove/burner
- Don’t use extension cords in the kitchen
- Put appliances close to power points as dangling cords make be dangerous
- Make sure all burners are turned off after usage.
- Do not put knives in a sink of soapy water, they may not be seen and accident may occur
- Never leave cooking food unattended , not even for a minute.
- Make sure all wires, cords and plugs on your appliances are not frayed.
- Put childproof lock not only on the cabinets with your medicines and cleaning supplies but also your oven.
- Keep dish towels, pot holders and oven mitts away from the stove.
- Keep fire extinguisher in or near kitchen but not near stove
- And finally casualness causes casualties so never answer or talk on the phone while cooking.